The bridge across the Crocodile River, visible from the rest camp, once formed part of the Selati railway line that wound its way through the Park to Skukuza. Construction of the bridge started in 1894 and was completed just before the end of the 19th century. The bridge continues despite being damaged in severe floods in February 2000. When the Sabie Reserve (a forerunner of the Kruger National Park) was proclaimed in the late 19th century, Crocodile Bridge was one of the first 4 ranger posts.
The uMhlanga lighthouse was completed in 1954. Construction was completed in four days and 19 hours. The circular concrete tower, painted white with a red band at the top, stands 21 meters above the beach and has a focal plane height of 25 meters. The fixed red light enables ships waiting to anchor in the outer anchorage, to monitor their position. If the red light is undetectable, the ship’s anchors have probably dragged and are too close to shore. The lighthouse has never had an official ‘keeper’. The Oyster Box Hotel, which was built in 1869, has been the tower’s custodian. The construction of the lighthouse cost R23 838. There are 95 steps to the top of the uMhlanga Lighthouse.
The Drakensberg (Afrikaans: Drakensberg, Zulu: uKhahlamba, Sotho: Maluti) is the eastern portion of the Great Escarpment, which encloses the central Southern African plateau. The Great Escarpment reaches its greatest elevation – 2,000 to 3,482 metres (6,562 to 11,424 feet) within the border region of South Africa and Lesotho.