Nomads Nature Photography and Travel Reviews is one leg of the freelance photography tripod (pardon the pun!) operated by the husband and wife team of Xander and Mariaan Buys.
The other two legs are:
- eX-Base Photography – Operated by Xander
- Purple Hat Photography – Operated by Mariaan (Website coming soon)
We specialize in the following genres:
- Nature photography: Nature photography refers to a wide range of photography taken outdoors and devoted to displaying natural elements such as landscapes, wildlife, plants, and close-ups of natural scenes and textures.
- Travel photography: Travel photography is a subcategory of photography involving the documentation of an area’s landscape, people, cultures, customs and history.
Why the name and logo?
nomad (plural nomads)
1. A member of a group of people who, having no fixed home, move around seasonally in search of food, water and grazing etc.
2. A wanderer.
wanderer (plural wanderers)
1. One who wanders, who travels aimlessly.
In our case, we move around in search of photographic opportunities, but definitely not aimlessly!
The elephant in our logo is a photograph taken by us at Mabula Private Game Reserve. Our Jeep and mascot are both called ‘Tshukudu’, meaning rhino. We have a special place in our hearts for elephants and rhinos and feel strongly about their conservation.
Growing up, we both went on holiday with our parents quite frequently. We traveled all over South Africa and were privileged to visit most of the main attractions of this beautiful country at a young age. In a way this instilled in us the urge to travel and explore and experience the beauty of the natural world.
As a couple, we had the privilege to visit FernWood Lodge resort in 2006 when friends could not do so and that reignited the interest to capture our beautiful country and also preserve our memories. Work and personal commitments however prohibited us from traveling as often as we wanted to and holidays were mainly spent with kids and family, but now that all the young ones have flown the nest, we can pursue our dream of traveling and capturing the wonders in the world out there.
We believe that man and woman were created to supervise, guard and manage the creation and as such we strive to educate and inform people about the wonder of nature through our photography. We feel that any effort, how insignificant it may be, can have a positive impact on nature conservation. We also aim to showcase the beauty of South Africa by visiting as many of the scenic locations that our country has to offer.
See also: Xander’s bio